The Social API allows you to get the status and history of sharing videos out to social media platforms. This quick start allows you to see the available requests and their responses, using either your own account or a Brightcove Learning Services sample account.
Notes on the sample app
- This is a quick start, intended to give you a model for building an app around the Social API. It allows you to test basic requests, but does not employ any of the parameters that these requests can use. To see these, look at the API Reference.
- The app also makes some requests to the CMS API to get the names of the videos returned by the initial request for the status of video social sharing. This is only to populate the video selectors for the other requests, because the Social API returns only video ids, not their names.
To use the Social API you will need proper credentials.
The easiest way to get them is to the use the Studio Admin / API Authentication section, click Register New Application, and select the Social permissions for your credentials:
Quick start app
Find all the code associated with this sample in this GitHub repository.
See the Pen Social API Quick Start by Brightcove Learning Services (@rcrooks1969) on CodePen.
Using the CodePen
Here are some tips to effectively use the above CodePen:
- Toggle the actual display of the player by clicking the Result button.
- Click the HTML/CSS/JS buttons to display ONE of the code types.
- Click Edit on CodePen in the upper right corner to fork this CodePen into your own account.
- Find all the code associated with this sample in this GitHub repository.
In order to build your own version the sample app on this page, you must create and host your own proxy. (The proxies used by Brightcove Learning Services only accept requests from Brightcove domains.) A sample proxy, very similar to the one we use, but without the checks that block requests from non-Brightcove domains, can be found in this GitHub repository. You will also find basic instructions for using it there, and a more elaborate guide to building apps around the proxy in Using the REST APIs.