Overview: Cross-Device Resume
Brightcove's cross-device resume (XDR) feature lets you start watching video on one device, pause the video, and continue watching later on another device. When you resume playback, you'll continue watching where you left off. This provides a seamless viewing experience for a piece of content.
The XDR service stores user viewing activity, including the most recent play position. This information is used to resume playback on any device.
Brightcove's XDR feature:
- Integrates with your customer web site and mobile device apps
- Uses REST-based APIs and native language calls on desktop and mobile devices
- Works with content stored in your Video Cloud library
- Retains play position information for 90 days
- Meets GDPR and COPPA compliance
The following are required to use cross-device resume:
- You must use the latest version of Brightcove Player and the Native SDKs that supports cross-device resume.
- You will need a server-side application to make the REST API request to get the playback position.
Contact your account manager to enable your account for cross-device resume.
This feature allows viewers to start watching on one device, pause it, and continue watching on another device.
As a viewer watches a video, the player continuously records the playhead position of the video being watched. This information is stored in the XDR API.
When the viewer resumes watching the video on a different device, the playhead position is retrieved from the XDR API. Playback resumes where the viewer left off.
To implement cross-device resume, follow these steps:
Even though viewer data is sent to Brightcove analytics automatically, you need to set the user identifier.
The information sent and stored in the XDR API will include:
- userID: end-viewer id
- assetID: video id
playhead: position in seconds
For details about setting the user, see the linked documents in step 3.
Get a viewer's playback position by making a request to the XDR API. You will need a server-side application to make the REST API request for the playback position.
The request to the XDR API return the playback position in seconds based on:
- accountID: Video Cloud Account id
- userID: end-viewer id
assetID: video id
For details, see the following:
Resume playback in your application. For details, see the following: